Friday 13 May 2011

Hormone Soup

This week has been one of those where I'm reminded just how pants it is to be a girl.  Crippling stomach pains, crying at the most tenuously soppy things, broody at anything baby related (even the maxillocraniofacial babies), grumpy for the tiniest things and the next minute bouncing off the walls hyper with the slightest good thing (surprise strawberries in my veg box from Mr this week!!!).  It's a wonder half the population function like normal human beings to be honest.  I've managed to keep the worst of it behind my bedroom door, so I haven't snapped at anyone or gone mushy at them which is good.

Since exams are looming it is also time to welcome the stressy bean ball back.  Panicking that I haven't done enough and I won't be able to fit it all in before the exams.  Insomnia because I can't switch my brain off from worrying enough to sleep.  Not eating properly because I'm picking at bits throughout the day whilst I work.  It's not good.  What makes it worse is I know I'm over reacting.  I know it's just the stupid hormones exacerbating normal nerves over something that matters.  And that when I'm like this it's not me.  I'm not a soppy person.  I'm not broody.  (I'll admit to being a little grumpy sometimes though).  Next week I have the final AMK of the year.  If I pass this I pass into second year and it doesn't matter about the End of Year 1 test.  On the other hand, if I fail the end of year it's a good indication I'll fail year 2, apparently.  The day before the AMK I have a combined clinical competency in cardiovascular, respiratory and gastrointestinal exams.  The day before that I have to give a five minute presentation on why the placement I will have been to that morning deserves £50,000 of theoretical money.  I am not looking forward to next week.  One bit.

2 comments:

Alice said...

One of the lecturers told us that people who didn't do very well on the End of Year struggled in second year as they had yet to grasp basic science concepts and things. I don't know if that means failing the year, but may make it harder to understand more complex stuff!

Grumpy Biomed said...

"grumpy for the tiniest things"

Yes, welcome to my life. Except I'm not a girl, so I don't even have *that* excuse...

Hope things pick up *hug*